5.17.2010

OK, second try. Navigated away from this page after writing some stuff, so you get the shorter, I-don't-love-battling-computers-at-home-when-I-fight-them-at-work version. Otherwise known as the IDLBCAHWIFTAW version for short (it's easier to remember).

I went to New Orleans a few weeks ago for a conference (work related), had a good time. Didn't have the highest hopes for NO for some reason, but it was actually a pretty cool town. Spent every free moment on Bourbon Street with lots of beer, blues and beads. Not really, I'm still the unshakable moral compass you've all come to depend on. Deep breaths...
And we're back. Got to take a field trip out on the Mississippi Delta, motoring around on boats and discussing sedimentary processes (geek), preservation potential (bigger geek), and taking sediment cores and discussing mud in a tube (but got to use some power tools to take it and cut it open, plus play in the mud, so back off. You know the picture of the core makes you jealous).




Then I got the weekend off, walked around the French Quarter enjoying a big free music festival and lots of $6 portions of jambalaya and other goodies. Would have had more, but still don't know how to work an ATM, apparently. No credit at the festival vendor booths. Pretty place, as you can see. Also next to some big body of water.


I also sluffed the meeting for a few hours one afternoon to go check out one of the above-ground cemeteries, the lady at the tourist booth seemed a little hesitant to recommend I walk there alone through some parts of town, but, well, you know me. Walk went fine so mom can relax now. And the cemetery was pretty cool. There were several tour groups in there while I wandered around, so I poached a little info off of a few groups and heard some good voodoo tales. Everyone knows I love a little voodoo. Sarcasm for the slow ones, ran into it a few times on the mission. NOT a fan. But the place was cool, and I tried being all artsy with the camera like my mentor Miss Taryn, a few pics below. Call if you want me to take a picture of your grave site; Taryn handles the kids and family pictures so together I think we've got it all covered now. Oh wait, Bar Mitzvahs. We'll have to start training Isaac. Anyways, good trip, had fun, learned some good geology stuff and got back home to the cool family waiting for me here in Katy.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I am totally left hanging for the Bar Mitsvah. Get on it will ya? Slacker. Seriously funny post.

Sara said...

When did you get funny?